Saturday, May 7, 2011

Lessons from Elijah

Today was another beautiful Saturday in Georgia. I decided to go watch on of my most favorite people in the world play tee-ball. I packed the kids up in the car and they were so excited to go watch Elijah and his teammates. We got there just in time to watch his team go up to bat. It was Elijah's turn and I ran up to get his picture. I almost missed the shot. He swung the bat and hit that ball so hard.

I was so proud of him. Elijah is such an inspiration to me, one day he will realize how much he has meant to me in my life.
I met Elijah when he was almost two and a half years old. He had already been through so much in his little life. This boy is a fighter. By the time I had met him he had already had not one, but two open heart surgeries. He had just started walking and his mommy was so proud. I met Elijah at such a critical time in my life. It was at the same moment I really started to worry about Blaise and his health. Blaise instantly fell in love with Elijah as did I. Even before Blaise was diagnosed I was learning so many lessons from Eli, he was teaching me things. I learned that children who have special needs or are physically handicapped are still just children. From the very first moment I met this amazing young man he changed my life. He taught me a lesson that I would use in the near future when my angel Blaise was diagnosed. He taught me that love is love and it comes in all shapes and sizes. Let me tell you another important lesson I have learned from Mr. Eli, it is quite possibly the most important. He has taught me to laugh, live and have a good time. When I walk into his house and he smiles at me, I remember that I need to let go and have a good time.

I chose to write about my best buddy Elijah today because of that ball he hit in the park. I couldn't help but think of the little boy I met who just learned to walk. Now he is quite an amazing young man in Kindergarten and slamming balls out of the park. I want to hug and kiss him and tell him thank you so much for reminding me that Blaise can do anything he dreams.

I also wanted to add on a little something to his amazing mom, my best friend Melissa.
Melissa is one of the most amazing people I have ever met in my life. She is an amazing mom, friend, daughter, and wife. I can say with certainty that I don't know how I could have made it through the last three years without her. As I watched her today in her role as team mom for the tee ball kids I was in awe of her. I knew what kind of week she has had, trust me it was busy. Never once did she look tired, she did it all with a smile on her face. That is Melissa, I believe Elijah learned that lesson from his mom. I admire my friend so much. I admire her strength, her love for her children, her dedication to all children who have to work a little harder at the little things. She is not just a champion to her own kids, but to ALL the kids she meets. So in honor of mothers day I dedicated my blog to her and Elijah.

There are lessons all around us, it us up to us to see them. Remember everybody in your life is here to teach you something, even the littlest of people ;)

2 comments:

What are you manifesting today?